Sunday, August 15, 2010

Review of the Weather Report CD Mysterious Traveller

The exceptionally talented Jazz group Weather Report have released their CD entitled Mysterious Traveller. I am very confident and happy to announce that I believe Weather Report fans, and Jazz fans alike will be pleased with this one. With the release of Mysterious Traveller their artistic excellence is on full display as they have once again delivered a brilliant collection of tracks that could very well be their best work to date.

I wish it weren't the case but, it's not everyday that I get a CD for review that I can just pop in and comfortably listen to from beginning to end. There is usually a song or two that I just can't force myself to get through. Not at all the case with Mysterious Traveller. Every track is enjoyable and was pretty easy for me to listen to from start to finish.

The nice thing about a CD like this is with this level of talent even if Jazz isn't your favorite style you still can't help but appreciate the greatness of the musicians.

Overall Mysterious Traveller is an outstanding release. What I call must have music. I give it two thumbs up and is most definitely a worthy addition to any Jazz collection. Truly an outstanding Jazz CD. One of those that is completely void of any wasted time, as each track is simply superb.

While this entire album is really very good some of my favorites are track 2 - American Tango, track 5 - Blackthorn Rose, and track 7 - Jungle Book

My Bonus Pick, and the one that got Sore [...as in "Stuck On REpeat"] is track 1 - Nubian Sundance. Outstanding!

Mysterious Traveller Release Notes:

Weather Report originally released Mysterious Traveller on June 4, 2002 on the Legacy Recordings label.

CD Track List Follows:

1. Nubian Sundance

2. American Tango

3. Cucumber Slumber

4. Mysterious Traveller

5. Blackthorn Rose

6. Scarlet Woman

7. Jungle Book

Weather Report: Wayne Shorter (soprano & tenor saxophones); Joe Zawinul (Fender Rhodes, piano, synthesizer); Alphonso Johnson (electric bass); Ishmael Wilburn (drums); Dom Um Romao (percussion).

Additional personnel: Miroslav Vitous (acoustic bass); Eric Gravatt (drums).

Recorded at Devonshire Sound, North Hollywood, California between February and March 1974. Includes liner notes by Hal Miller.

No comments:

Post a Comment